Transferable married couples allowance

HMRC has opened on-line registration for the Transferable Married Allowance.

From 6 April 2015 a spouse or civil partner who is not liable to income tax above the basic rate may transfer £1,060 of their unused personal allowance to their spouse/civil partner, provided that the recipient of the transfer is not liable to income tax above the basic rate.

Taxpayers have 4 years in which to make the election.

The Marriage Allowance may be claimed if all the following apply:

1. you are married or in a civil partnership
2. you have an annual income of less than £10,600, including pensions, savings and investments
3. your spouse or civil partner has an annual income of between £10,601 and £42,385
4. you were both born on or after 6 April 1935

Taxpayers have to use online registration in order to register an interest with HMRC . To do this you need access to the internet and an email account.

Hundreds of thousands of couples could miss out on a new tax break for married couples because it is only being made available to those who apply for it online.The Low Incomes Tax Reform Group (LITRG) has already expressed its concern that requiring couples to register and apply for the relief online could exclude a substantial minority of eligible taxpayers who do not use a computer or the internet.

Close Menu